Wednesday, March 26, 2008

YARN! I MADE YARN!



Since getting my spinning wheel, I've been practicing and playing and just enjoying it! The whole process is so mellow and Zen-like; yet still meets and exceeds my creative needs!

So, my first yarn, wow! Oh, it's a mess... over-twisted in spots, too thin or thick in others; but I'm still proud of it! If I had been trying to create a novelty yarn, I would have succeeded with flying colors!

It is a two-ply (made of two strands) of Merino wool. The color is mainly blue with beautiful flecks and accents in purples, teals, a bit of green and a splash of gold!

I'm not sure what I'm going to knit it into --- maybe a scarf?

After spinning the singles, then plying it, I then made skeins using my niddy-noddy. After all the skeins were made, I wash the yarn exactly like I had washed Loki's fleece. Then I let it drip-dry. Wah-Lah! By washing and "snapping" the
skeins, it sets the twist so the yarn won't unravel as you knit!

1 comment:

Jessica L said...

I am so proud of you!!!!!

I'm an old friend of caitlins...and I'm a knitter. I have always wanted to try this but don't know anyone that does it. Now there is you!

Congratulations on your initiation into pioneer life:) I hope to try it out too someday!