Thursday, February 14, 2008

The High Life

I have decided to become a member of both NORML (national organization) and DFW NORML (local chapter).

NORML is a nonprofit organization that stands for the "National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws."

I don't want to insult anybody; but I think it's important to know that I am not some stoner... I lead a productive life and I am a responsible adult. I do *not* condone the illegal use of drugs; however, I do believe marijuana should be a legal substance (that could be taxed and regulated).

I have depression and o.c.d. tendencies and I have been taking medications for this for years. It was a rocky road to find the right meds, with a few mishaps along the way. A bad "side-effect" of the depression and o.c.d. (for me) can be nights of insomnia... so bad that I'll be lucky to get five hours of sleep in 72 hours. Through the years, doctors have tried to cure my bouts of insomnia, with damn near every medication available -- all to no avail. At one point in my life, a doctor had me on EIGHT DIFFERENT MEDS to "cure" me... my anti-depressants, another pill to ease the side effect of the anti-depressant, another to stop making me feel jittery from that pill, a strong sleeping pill, a pill to help me wake up, a pill to give me energy, etc. This combination of LEGAL, PRESCRIBED drugs made me so unwell, I had a major nervous breakdown and was hospitalized for two weeks (thankfully, I found a great dr and I am currently taking one medicine).

Marijuana can help you sleep. One doesn't need to use it everyday. One doesn't feel "hung-over" the next morning. Yes, it can "mellow" you... but nothing more dangerous than a couple glasses of wine.

I don't believe mj is as dangerous as many people believe; however, it should be used responsibly. After reading many facts regarding mj and it's usage, I have realized that these facts need to come to light.

Many people assume that marijuana was made illegal through some kind of process involving scientific, medical, and government hearings -- that it was to protect the citizens from what was determined to be a dangerous drug. Nothing could be farther from the truth.

In the 1937 marijuana was made illegal after roughly 90 minutes of discussion and "evidence", almost all led by a bigot name Harry J. Aslinger. If you think I'm using the word "bigot" just because I don't agree with what he said, please read some of his ACTUAL quotes from those hearings:

"There are 100,000 total marijuana smokers in the US, and most are Negroes, Hispanics, Filipinos, and entertainers. Their Satanic music, jazz and swing, result from marijuana use. This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with Negroes, entertainers and many others."

"...the primary reason to outlaw marijuana is its effect on the degenerate races."

"You smoke a joint and you're likely to kill your brother."

"Marijuana is the most violence-causing drug in the history of mankind."

"Marijuana leads to pacifism and communist brainwashing."

Here are some statistics for you to think about:

Causes of Death/Annual Deaths
According to Drug Warfacts.org for the year 2000 in the USA
Tobacco/435,000
Poor Diet & Physical Inactivity/365,000
Alcohol/85,000
Microbial Agents/5,000
Toxic Agents/55,000
Motor Vehicle Crashes/26,347
Adverse Reactions to Prescription Drugs/32,000
Suicide/30,622
Incidents Involving Firearms/29,000
Homicide/20,308
Sexual Behaviors/20,000
All Illicit Drug Use, Direct & Indirect/17,000
Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs i.e. Aspirin/7,600
Marijuana/0

Marijuana is less addictive than Heroin, Cocaine, Alcohol, Nicotine and Caffeine.

There are many great sites out there that can lead to the facts about marijuana.

2 comments:

Cait said...

I agree completely. The only thing that kind of worries me is that recent studies have shown a correlation between depression/suicidal ideation and marijuana use. Granted, this is mostly with younger people who use marijuana at least once weekly, so it's a specific population. But we definitely get SO many kids at the psych hospital who are depressed or suicidal who use marijuana consistently. It makes me wonder....especially with the information coming from these studies. However, alcohol is clearly JUST as big a problem with this population, so it's completely unjustified to make marijuana use seem more serious than alcohol use; that's all just propaganda.

CindyB said...

Caitlin, I totally agree with what you wrote, and since you are in the trenches, I believe what you have to say. However, I also believe that young *kids* who are regularly using and/or abusing alcohol, marijuana or any other drugs (legal, illegal -- cough syrup, heroin etc) are already "leaning" < for lack of a better word towards depression and perhaps suicide. It's not a blanket statement. The key is they are children, and truly a child's escape should be through pretend, and play --- not through drugs or alcohol. There are always exceptions; but I believe this is truly a case of parental guidance or a lack thereof. Thoughts?