Friday, January 18, 2008

Allow Myself to Introduce Myself

I really wanted a clever name for this blog. Something witty that you'd remember. Sometimes, I just can't think that way; so I racked my brain for days, and then - Wah Lah!!!

Back when I was a kid, we (my Mom, Dad, our dog Pokey, and me) would go camping every weekend. That was fun when I was 7; but at 16 it was the pits. So, I would spend the entire weekend in a phone booth talking to my friend Wendy. Yes, a phone booth --- waaaay before there was ever such a thing as a cellphone. (That's scary science!) It was a good deal though - 10 cents and you could talk for-EVER. Really. Once, Wendy and I tried to "run out" the 10 cents and after about three hours, we gave up (I swear to God we could talk that long!). Anywho...

So, I'm 16 and at the campground bored out of my skull. I went to the main/public area and chose phone booth #1 (of 2) and called Wendy. We were talking and this really, really cute boy walked by! Well, I was boy crazy at that age, and I was also a total geek! We caught each other's eye and smiled! Smooth - so far! Wendy and I kept talking and finally this boy approached me. The Coke machines were right across from the phone booths, and Mr. Cutey-Pie came up to the phone booth and asked if he could buy me a pop! Wow!

I was so nervous (and Wendy can confirm this, she was on the other end of the line), that I looked into his beautiful blue eyes, smiled, and said...

"Me no thirsty."

The look on his face was that "deer in the headlights" look and he immediately turned and walked away -- at a pretty brisk pace. He also avoided me the rest of the weekend.

Eh, it is funny now -- devastating at 16! I was so embarrassed! Anyway, I'm sure I had many dork-moments before that; but, that's what I remember as the true beginning as "My Life As a Spazz (a cute spazz)!"

Enjoy!

No comments: